The gravitational influence of the obstetrician is
much greater [on the baby]
than the gravitational influence of Mars.
– Carl Sagan, On the Pseudoscience of Astrology, 2008
The birth of my sixth grandchild on October 10, 2010 ( time of birth was 10:18 so he just missed a perfect “pentafecta”, 10:10-10/10/10) caused me to notice all the hoopla about 10/10/10 and to do a bit of web surfing among astrology and numerology sites. I was disappointed that I didn’t find anything too exciting or illuminating. One of the more popular sites (according to Google) noted that one of three things could happen on 10/10/10: 1) something really good, 2) nothing, or 3) something really bad, and that #2 was the most likely.
I did discover, believe it or not, a site devoted to Medical Astrology or “Iatromathematics” that, among other things, postulated that Carl Sagan’s death in 1996 was predicted by the alignment of the planets in 1994.
- Number of vitamins and minerals ruled by Mars and Venus respectively: 10 / 3
- Number ruled by the planet with the strongest aspects, the Moon: 2 , Vit. B2 and Potassium
- Planet that rules Vitamin D: Sun (Now, that one I can buy)
- Planet position that determined the date that swine flu appeared in Mexico: Pluto in retrograde
Number of E-cigarette distributors recently cited by the FDA for false health claims and for delivering liquid pharmaceuticals not yet approved in the U.S.: 5 (1)
Types of liquid drugs delivered by E-cigarettes: erectile dysfunction and weight loss
- I guess that is the kind of cigarette you should light up BEFORE having sex.
- Among 483,276 recipients of the vaccine in one study there were NO cases of Guillain-Barre Syndrome (GBS) and NO deaths.
- Another study showed that receiving the H1N1 (swine flu) vaccine increased the chance of getting GBS by 0.7/100,000 person-years which is tiny and IDENTICAL to the rate of the usual seasonal flu vaccine.
- Number of 10 patients with swine flu admitted to a Michigan ICU for ventilator support who were obese: 9 (3)
- Number of the same 10 who were extremely obese: 7
Per cent of people in the U.S. with antibody levels high enough to protect them from getting mumps: 90%
Per cent of immune people necessary to provide “herd immunity” (the protection of unimmunized people) : 92% (4)
Per cent increase in risk of seizures in 400,000 children within 3 days after a diptheria-tetanus immunization: ZERO (5)
1. Pediatric News, Clinical Rounds, September 2010, p.42
2. Adriana Weinberg, MD, Report given at 2010 Pediatric Infectious Disease Conference, Pediatric News, September 2010, p.11
3. http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr July 7, 2009
4. J Infect Dis 2010 Sept 1; 202:667
5. Pediatrics 2010 Aug; 126:263